Summary: Schools will be closed on Thursday and Friday.
Seattle public schools will be closed Thursday, November 11 and Friday, November 12.
There will be no face-to-face or remote instruction during these two days. We know that a larger than normal number of SPS employees will be taking time off on Friday and don’t think we have enough staff to open schools.
This is a change from the calendar of dates for the 2021-2022 school year approved last spring, and we recognize that the late notice is creating difficult circumstances for many families.
This learning day will be added at the end of the 2021-2022 school year to ensure that all students have access to the total number of training hours.
SPS meal at school sites on November 12
When: Friday, November 12, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
What: Pick up a free bagged meal prepared by the SPS Nutrition Services team.
who: Available for all students, parents and guardians
How to collect student meals: All students can come and collect their meals on these sites. Parents and guardians can come and collect students’ meals. Studentsnotneed to be present.
School locations and times
The November 12 catering locations will operate from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. near the main entrance to these 20 locations:
- Aki kurose 3928 S Graham St. Seattle College, WA 98118
- Arbor heights Elementary 3701 SW 104th St. Seattle, WA 98146
- Bailey Gatzert Elementary 1301 E Yesler Way Seattle, WA 98122
- Beacon Hill International Elementary 2025 14th Ave. S Seattle, WA 98144
- Broadview-Thomson K-8 School 13052 Greenwood Ave. N Seattle, WA 98133
- Concorde International Elementary 723 S. Concord St. Seattle, WA 98108
- Dearborn Park International Elementary 2820 S Orcas St. Seattle, WA 98108
- Eckstein College 3003 NE 75th St. Seattle, WA 98115
- Highland Park Elementary 1012 SW Trenton St. Seattle, WA 98106
- Jeanne Addams College 11051 34th Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98125
- Lowell Elementary 4000 27th Ave. W Seattle, WA 98199
- Maple Elementary 4925 Corson Ave. S Seattle, WA 98108
- Mercier 1600 S International College Columbian Way Seattle, WA 98108
- MLK Jr. Elementary 6725 45th Ave. S Seattle, WA 98118
- Olympic hills Elementary 13018 20th Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98125
- Olympic view Elementary 504 NE 95th St. Seattle, WA 98115
- Rainiers Beach High School 8815 Seward Park Ave. S Seattle, WA 98118
- Rising star Elementary 8311 Beacon Ave. S Seattle, WA 98118
- Roxhill Elementary 7740 34th Ave. SW Seattle, WA 98126
- West Seattle High School 3000 California Ave. SW Seattle, WA 98116
Calendar of the school year 2021-22
List of all dates for the 2021-22 school year
August 17 – 18 Jump Start for New Kindergarten Students Learn more about Jump Start
September 1 First day of school for students in grades 1 to 12. September 1 is not an early release Wednesday. The early exit will take place every Wednesday except the first week of school.
From September 1 to 3 Family connections Before starting school, each new kindergarten family has the opportunity to meet their student’s teacher. Learn more about Family Connections
Labor Day September 6 (no school)
September 9 First day of school for kindergarten, all preschool students Learn more about this change.
National Commissioning Day October 8 (no school)
November 11 Veterans Day (no school)
12 november No school
November 22 – 24 Elementary conference days (no school for elementary school and kindergarten to 8th grade; varies by school)
November 25 – 26 Thanksgiving Holiday (no school) Thanksgiving and Native American Heritage Day
December 17 Early termination of one hour (Winter vacation)
December 20, 2021 – January 2, 2022 Winter holidays (no school)
January 17 Martin Luther King Jr. (no school)
Day of January 27 between semesters (no school)
February 21 – 25 Mid-winter break including Presidents Day (no school)
April 11 – 15 Spring break (no school)
May 30 Memorial Day (no school)
June 17, 2022 Last day of school (early dismissal of one hour)
School year approval and planning dates
At the regular school board meeting on February 10, 2021, the school board voted to approve the district calendars for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 school years.
The school calendar is developed in collaboration with SEA and the dates are agreed in the collective agreement (CBA). The formula for scheduling key dates in the ABC states that the first day of school will be the first Wednesday in September. Families should note that for the start of the 2021-22 school year, school will start before Labor Day, September 1, 2021 for grades 1-12
The key dates formula was initially negotiated in the CBA 2015-2018 as a tool for staff and families so that there is consistency around schedules and dates are not set arbitrarily.
During the 2019 negotiation period, several joint SPS-SEA working groups were established, including one specifically organized to address inclusive considerations related to religious and cultural observations and practices. This working group has developed additional documents and guidance to accompany the traditional school calendar.
While not all religious / cultural events can be catered for, this guide has been created to serve as a reference for schools, families and communities to be aware of potential scheduling conflicts and excused absences and / or make appropriate accommodations and supports for students and families on days of religious / cultural celebrations.
The religious and cultural observances identified in the documents on religion and religious accommodation 2021-2022 and 2022-2023, also highlight the observances and traditions that involve fasting, which may have an impact on students’ abilities to perform at their highest level or be a reason for being absent from class.
Consult school board documents with approved calendars for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school years and guidelines on religious observances.
ABC key dates
The dates below have been negotiated as part of the collective agreement (CBA).
- First day of school: The first Wednesday in September.
- State In Service Day: As recognized by the State and generally the second Friday in October.
- Winter holidays: At least 10 weekdays, ending after New Year’s Day. If New Years Day falls or is observed on a Monday, students will return to school the next day (Tuesday).
- Mid-winter vacation: President’s Day and the following four working days.
- Spring holidays: Five days from the second Monday in April.
- Snow Catch Days: At least three days of snow are expected, including the day between semesters, and the first two days after the last day of school in June. Additional snow catching days can be added in June if required
- Labor Day (when school starts before that day in September)
- Veterans Day (November)
- Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving (November)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January)
- Presidents’; Day (February)
- Remembrance Day (May)
- Contractual days: The four days immediately preceding the start of the school year, with the exception of the Friday preceding Labor Day
- Conferences: three consecutive days for conferences immediately preceding Thanksgiving Day